Esperance to Lucky Bay

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Eventually sleep came, after much stargazing in which I saw 9 shooting stars, (I still haven’t used up all of those wishes) and I awoke to the sun heating up the tent. Breakfast, great, I am never one who likes to join in with the general public in a lot of things, I disagree with such things as eating cereal in the morning. So naturally it was cereal in the morning, of course it was that’s normal right. I opted for some toast, cooked upon some weird little grill that you put over a flame to heat the toast. I figured out how it worked eventually, and I have used one before, but was too overheated to even question, being in Litchfield.

We said goodbye to Mary and off we went! To Esperance, we were hot whilst driving, but when we got off the bus… I was glad I visited the northern parts of Australia early, as there is no way I would be coping up there when it was too hot for me on the south coast. Most people seemed happy about the ‘good weather’ but I tend to feel that if it burns you, its too hot. It burned, a fair bit, I wasn’t really sunburned as my skin is Afghan, still doesn’t mean I could breathe though. As soon as the bus doors opened everyone spilled out and fled in different directions, suddenly I was alone “What time are we supposed to be where? Oh…” right then, time to do something. I wandered around, got some snacks from the supermarket, some film for my underwater camera and then walked along the beach, using the trees for shade but still sweating like a much larger man. I did find them, right down the other end, where were supposed to meet Lachie they told me, ‘oh good then at least I can find my way accidentally.’

There was a Sea lion. Just lying there. I walked straight past it and didn’t even notice, then after I had my swim in the gloriously cold water the girls asked me if I had seen it “What, there’s a Sea lion, here? Where?” “Over there.” and so there was, lounging around under the jetty, a big blob of a Sea beast chilling in the shade. It looked pretty damn content and I felt a tiny bit guilty about disturbing its sleep when I started taking pictures, but hey when else was I going to get to pose with a Sea lion. “Don’t go near it!” Dammit Lachie could you not have waited 5 seconds to say that! So maybe I wasn’t going to pose with a Sea lion.

IMG_6337

We left there and headed to another beach, this one had a billion flies, sorry that’s an understatement. But then at least it wasn’t worse than Uluru, which if anyone cares to visit, take a compact fly killer with you, they may be illegal in Oz but its worth the risk! The beach itself was very pretty, Lucky Bay it was named, after someone who got lucky there, no not in that way, he was fleeing a storm at sea, and was happy to see white sand with blue/green water. Arguably the sand was kind of weird and pretty disgusting, all mushy and soggy in places but beautiful from afar, at least it made good pictures. The water was freezing, I think it must be due to having no landmass between Australia’s south coast and Antarctica as Esperance had cold water too, and so it seems does everywhere along the south coast. But it did the job and refreshment was mine!

1 comments:

Tina said...

Hi Samson,

You are having an amazing trip around Australia. I have seen quite a bit of Australia and always want to see more. Enjoy the rest of your trip downunder.

Post a Comment