Nullarbor!

Thursday, January 28, 2010

So I pretty much got off one bus and onto another. Our tour with the Nullarbor Traveller started early, meaning I had to wake up early, grr, something I have never been a fan of so I was still half asleep when we began our epic journey to Adelaide. When I had finally shuffled my stuff around and got myself onboard we headed off and soon after one of the girls announced that I was pretty lucky being the only guy on board among 9 girls, I must have been tired as I hadn’t noticed. I wasn’t the only guy though; our tour guide Lachie made us 2 vs. 9.

We spent much of the first day driving, stopping at York to eat a quick breakfast then heading to the Wave Rock! Now the Wave Rock is really just another rock, however it just so happens that it formed in the shape of a giant wave. We took a wander in the blistering heat that we had been following east and climbed as far up the wave as we could manage to take pictures. One among our number, Angelica vanished and we wandered over to the bus wondering whether she would make it or perhaps perish in the heat, then thoughts of food and shade took over. She did turn up in the end.
IMG_6300

That first night was spent at Mary’s house, a charming lady who cooked us a delightful, meal of pasta with veg. Then off to bed, or rather to the tents, I shared with Nicola, soon to become my new best friend, as my tent had a few issues. She didn’t seem to mind, in fact she recently told me she was really happy I moved in, as she wasn’t keen on being left alone with any spiders, I’m sure the tiger snakes that came out at night weren’t much of a confidence booster either. We talked a fair bit through the night, everyone obviously being able to hear our conversation as we were in tents, and Nic didn’t get the best first impression of me when I told her about my dads family history, which in a nutshell is: banditry, smuggling, a lot of siblings, murders, not so many siblings and then lots of mental illness. Please do note, that is a rough outline of a very complicated family history, not my dad’s personal history, which is very different and only includes the many siblings.

Check out the itinerary Samson followed at Nullarbor Traveller

0 comments:

Post a Comment