Sharks for some

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The next day was the shark day for those that had paid extra, and the surf day for those that hadn’t. Well I’m a broke backpacker so naturally I opted to surf, which I did. The instructor gave me the shorter fibreglass board instead of the huge heavy foam ones and I attempted to make good use of it by taking on bigger waves, sadly they were too big and I just ended up falling face first into the waves as I tried to stand up, although when I switched back to the big board I found it so easy it was almost laughable, at least it was proof I had improved even if I couldn’t surf big waves yet.

After surfing we visited some more dramatic cliffs, then a sinkhole, that looked like it had dried out about 13,000 years ago and was full of sand. Then we went to the animal farm, yay! It was basically a small zoo; you got a load of seeds and grain in a bag, then went around the farm seeing the various animals and feeding them. They had Kangaroos, dingo’s (we didn’t feed them), birds that landed on you and ate from the hand, ostriches, donkeys, turtles, parrots that aimed for the fingers rather than the seeds, camels, cows and more.

We went to a café to await the return of the girls from their day with the sharks, and then it was off to the pub, where we would get beds again! We got some drinks, I sat down with my laptop and used the cafés Internet, and we waited. And we waited. Some of group wandered off to do some shopping etc. and we waited some more. An hour after they usually turn up Lachie called to find out what was happening, which was that they still wouldn’t be back for another hour, “Sorry guys, we wont be staying in the pub after all, I’ll go get us some food and then well head back to the campsite.” He then made a call back to base to mention the catastrophe and see if anything could be done, “Its ok guys were going to the pub.” And off he walked back to the bus. A lift had been arranged for the girls later, whilst we would drive to the pub straight away and get some pizza.

We were the only guests and as such we had our choice of rooms, the pub owner gave us a pile of keys and off we went to pick the best ones first. I managed to grab me a big bed and dumped everything then jumped into a much needed shower before heading down for dinner and then meeting the local drunks. One Lebanese guy who was absolutely hilarious kept buying me and Nic drinks and then showing us how to beat the arcade machines that dispense DVD’s and Nintendo’s, which was by this point almost empty having already been cleaned out by him during the day. Poor Nic was light headed on the first glass of wine (probably because she is so tiny), but our Lebanese friend wouldn’t hear no, everyone else was outside having a great time and at midnight we all shouted happy birthday out to Lachie who was then bought more drinks by our Lebanese friend.

Eventually we moved the party upstairs to our lounge area, got some music and people gradually drifted off to bed as we carried on drunken conversation, I was tipsy but the only one not drunk seemed to be Geli, her German blood I reckon. So far I had been in the tent with Nic every night so I jokingly apologised that I wouldn’t be able to keep her warm that night as I had been taken but she was welcome to join us if she wished, being totally hammered she almost accepted but luckily for her boyfriend back home, she ended up in her bed and not with Geli and me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment