The End of the Nullarbor

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Our last day was a fairly quiet one, stopping only for a trip down the longest still standing jetty and at a museum. The museum included all sorts of things from evolution of the country from its Gondwana origins to the history of the town as a stop for all trains heading in all directions, it was actually a lot more interesting than I was prepared for being rather sleepy that day, and I would have liked more time to explore, but when I realised I couldn’t see anyone I knew I figured it was time I left and rejoined the group that was probably waiting just for me. The jetty isn’t actually the record holder for longest jetty in the southern hemisphere, that belongs to Busselton, however that jetty has fallen down so is now shorter than the jetty we visited this day until it gets rebuilt.

The other members to our group were great and even included one extremely odd old Frenchman, who wore earplugs at all times. I think this might have been to block out all the random noises he made, which were many and totally bizarre; he would grunt and mutter, be silent for a moment and then start chatting to himself in French, only he had earplugs in so he clearly couldn’t actually hear any of what he was saying. He would appear out of the blue and talk to us in French and then walk off leaving us startled for a moment and then just cracking up, we tried not to laugh but really the comedy of it all was too much and we simply didn’t know how to react not having a clue what he was on about. He was a nice guy, but a little confusing.

Finally the time came for us all to depart, we arranged to meet up later and get some drinks and then Lachie dropped us off one by one at our abodes. It was odd to have spent so much time with them and then be going off our separate ways. I settled in at Adelaide Central YHA and relaxed so much I almost fell asleep then and there. Hoisting myself up I got showered and changed then headed out to enjoy our last night as a group. The journey was finally over, an end to camping and travelling so far, I had seen a hell of a lot in a hell of a lot of nothing and now the time came to do a hell of a lot of nothing in the city.

0 comments:

Post a Comment