Spear Fishing!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

When I got to Sydney I was met by Bobby, who I knew from Tasmania. We got to Bobby’s and then he said, “Right so tomorrow were going to go spear fishing, did you need to do anything in town before that.” hmm spear fishing you say, well now that was an unexpected turn of events, what better way to round off my trip and forget about leaving Charlotte than a weekend of spearing fish in tropical waters. So after he revealed the plans for the weekend he announced we were also going to a comedy show that night, I invited Kate along and off we went to a club in North Melbourne. We had dinner there and played pool whilst we waited for it to begin and then went up to hear some rather different comedy from Eddie Ifft about all the things he really shouldn’t have done. The style of comedy I think was a bit much for a few members of the crowd and his constant insulting of various peoples and total honesty about the way he thinks seemed to hit a few prudish nerves but also generated plenty of laughs. He had an Aussie following him who was one of those people who you just can’t help but laugh at; he actually had one of the guys I was with screaming with laughter at one gag, I thought he might just pop.

So the next day we got ready to leave, I got a sleeping bag from Kate and then hung around with her for a little while before heading back to the house and waiting for Bobby to get back so we could leave. He brought a cute Chinese girl with him who I really couldn’t see being a part of the underwater rugby team that was the group we were meeting up there however I stood corrected. We got there after dark and it started raining, great start! After a cold wet night we awoke to find that ours was not the only tent that had leaked so we felt a bit better about the whole thing. We crammed in some brekky and then off to the beach. The first person to catch a fish was James, who I would also call the Machine; he is literally a walking mountain of muscle. We then gutted his fish and cut it into little strips and ate it with some lime juice, rather lovely it was. After that Bonnie, (Bobby’s cute little Chinese friend) let me use her spear, Jacky lent me his flippers and I had a go at hunting. I went out with the others and after about half an hour I found a fish that looked big enough to spear, which seemed to ignore me, so I speared it, then thought ‘Oh my god, I just speared it, wow.’

That night we had fish for dinner, a lot of fish. Everyone cooked their fish in their own way and so we were all walking around with plates trying each other’s food and having foodgasms over it all, I normally don’t eat fish but this was just too good, even the sashimi earlier was great, it was a feast of fish and I just pigged out on it. The next day the weather was better but we caught less, in fact lots of us caught nothing, but naturally James came out carrying about 6 massive fish, which he had found in a bay none of us had reached and on the way back he suggested we go to his for a feast. I have never enjoyed fish like that before, and coupled with the millet and veggies and yummy salad he made it was a meal like no other. I now know the reason I don’t like fish so much, it turns out that some of the fish we hadn’t eaten on the first day developed that nasty fishy smell that I’m used to all fish smelling like, however the stuff we ate that was caught that day smelled great and tasted even better. So really what I don’t like is rotten fish, and that’s what all you people back in England are eating, I just had the best fish in the world, caught by us and cooked straight away and it was wonderful!

0 comments:

Post a Comment