Charlotte

Monday, May 3, 2010

My flight was back to Melbourne and there I went, to discover that I suddenly had an almost empty bank account. Now when I say almost empty I mean I got there at the start of April, and I had $1.33 in my account. Which after printing out 2 statements just to check if that could possibly be correct ended up as just $0.33, unfortunately not enough to buy dinner with. The reason I mention it being the start of April is that happened to be the long Easter weekend where nothing is open, it was Friday, nothing opened till Tuesday, meaning the bank wouldn’t talk to me about why my account was empty. It was by far my worst Easter, I got no chocolate, I had no family to hang out with, I had no money to spend on nonsense or food and everywhere were annoying people saying the apocalypse is coming trust Jesus. I got by through raiding the free food section and using my accommodation vouchers, and eventually on Tuesday I could access some western union money my dad sent over for me.

Now at this point my luck changed direction, I had held my faith that everything would be cool and I got a call from the brother of a friend in Tassie, who gave me directions to his place and said he might have some work if I wanted it. Now there wasn’t much I wanted more than to have some work considering my financial situation, the only thing I wanted more was a girlfriend. So I hung out with Kent and Jo at their house in the suburbs west of Melbourne, Kent got me a job working for a furniture shop in Fitzroy that used recycled wood, I worked with a guy who handled the de-nailing of the wood before it was sent to the factory to be turned into beds and tables and things. The work was pretty tough but it was cash in my hand and just what I needed at the time.

The other great thing that happened occurred at a Pirate Party on a boat, Kent had a friend who was doing the PA and so we went along to help out and get a free ticket that way, so on went the big shirt and eye patch, along with the fake earring and the silly hat and off we went. As soon as the party got going my eye caught that of a pretty girl wearing the same hat as me, so naturally that acted as an opening for conversation and me spending the entire night talking to her. We both agreed that we couldn’t wait to see each other again and so I got her no and 2 days later I rocked up at her place. I got to see her for about 3 weeks, and in 3 weeks I fell totally in love with her. Charlotte has a mad passion for baking, and we spent most of our time together eating different things and watching films, occasionally we agreed on something but that was rare, one night we actually managed to go out and eat the same thing at a Japanese restaurant which was a miracle but despite all the blatant incompatibility I really didn’t care. My last few weeks in Melbourne were ones of complete bliss and a memory that will stick with me for a bloody long time.

On our last day we did the great ocean road, I thought it would be a nice change if we went out for the day instead of sleeping in late and doing nothing all day long. After the day of fun it was back to hers to pack up my stuff and head back to the suburbs to get ready for my flight the next morning. I have said many times I didn’t want to leave places, and I had my reasons, sometimes I thought there was more to do or I just liked being there but I knew I had to move on, this is the only time I had to convince myself it was time to go, and even then I still wasn’t convinced. I came very close to saying screw England, this is my home and I’m not leaving, however somehow I let the momentum take me and the flight got booked, I did my best not to feel utterly lost when I left Charlotte, all the way wondering what was leading me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment