Cradle Mountain

Friday, April 23, 2010

The last thing I really wanted to do in Tassie was to see Cradle Mountain, only I had no money, whilst I was waiting out this conundrum I was back in Hobart with Mick and a bunch of others including a cute French girl Emmanuelle who took Mandy’s place as my travel buddy. Then one day I was on Skype and chatting to an old friend of mine back in England who after hearing of my deteriorating money situation offered to help, his offer of 150 squid was exactly what I needed to keep me going although I felt quite bad not being sure when I would be able to pay him back, he insisted saying I should accept it as sponsorship, so I did. The Money from Ant meant I could go up to Launceston and see Cradle Mountain and still be ok when I came back down and was hunting for a job again.

We went for a walk when we got to Launceston and this revealed the beautiful Cataract Gorge where I climbed rocks, stuck my feet in the water and was instructed not to climb over the edge of the cliff and kill myself by Manu. The walk back was a killer, so much so that when we reached a service station I bought a spirulina smoothie! Later at the hostel we curled up and watched Enduring Love, which we borrowed from the hostel. The next day was Cradle Mountain day where we had apparently the clearest day possible, our guide informed us that the weather there was so changeable they often have anything from snow to rain or mist and its very rare to be able to spot the peak of Cradle Mountain, so for us to be able to see it clearly and have a clear sky with only a hint of cloud made us pretty lucky. What didn’t make us lucky was that the route had been shut whilst they did repairs meaning we got to walk around the lake and almost got to the route leading up the mountainside. On the way back we made up for the lack of adventure by stopping at a chocolate factory!

0 comments:

Post a Comment