An Oasis

Saturday, December 12, 2009

We got back. That much surprised me. I paid the girls the money I owed them for the trip, which was very little considering what we did and off I went to the YHA, which was full, so off I went to some other place down the road which took about 5 hours and 3 bath tubs of sweat to reach, carrying just my day bag as I had left the bigger one in the YHA, both bags would have killed me in that heat.

Funny how things work out, I was pretty annoyed at walking so far and wasn’t too wowed by the other hostel, however I did meet a gorgeous woman from Taiwan here who made my dinner a lot nicer and I also bumped into my good friend Marc who walked out of the darkness in a sinister fashion to surprise me at around 11 whilst I was up typing. And then the next morning as I went to get brekkie I encountered a couple who were on one of my earlier bus journeys and who were also the same people I had bumped into at Kings Canyon. Still I have to wonder at how often I meet the same people and how easy it is to keep bumping into them, it’s one of the great things about travelling somewhere like Australia where there is so much space and so few towns in between, everyone ends up in the same places so it is almost like walking around your home town where your likely to see people you know.

After breakfast it was back to the YHA with me and back on the net, which wasn’t working at the other hostel. I noticed we had some new talent, a phrase I would not normally use due its derogatory connotations (so don’t ask me why I’m using it now, I have no idea.) There were a lot more pretty girls than before and one who stood out; a tall, dark, auburn beauty that I later found out had a boyfriend, what a shame. However we still stayed up talking, scoffing chocolate and watching films together. We both agreed that Valkyrie being a Nazi German film with only American actors was utter tosh, Tom Cruise is not a convincing actor at the best of times and when trying to be a German Hero his ‘skills’ are somewhat misplaced. Needless to say I found her company very charming and was again sad to be heading in the opposite direction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment