In Cairns

Saturday, November 14, 2009

A few things happened here.

met Jochen here again, this was the final part of his journey before heading back to Sydney and then home again, so we figured we would take a walk and see what we could see, a Dutch friend of his accompanied us. We walked the esplanade observed the view of mud and then Jochen found a volleyball game to join in, we left him there, much as I love volleyball (sarcasm, although the last time I played I somehow won the game, resulting in hilarious icy forfeits for the opposers) I didn’t feel up to a game this night, so the Dutchie and I walked back and I bought an onyx bracelet from a little shop on the way. We said goodbye to Jochen in the morning and off he went, back to the real home of the Germans.

The filmmaker I was going to meet in Mission Beach has a house in Cairns, and his office is also there, he wasn’t sure he would be back whilst I was still there but in the end he was, so something went right. I had been involved in a production in England earlier in the year and they had just requested some extra footage of thoughts and feelings (interview style) about the event, and Richard who had worked on the event just happened to live in Cairns so he suggested we meet up and do the shoot there. We went for lunch at a great pizza place and I had a tandoori chicken pizza, bizarre but tasty whilst his camera charged, and we talked for hours about various things including my thoughts on the event and what I felt about the guy who the event was about and his message. When it came to shooting Richard asked me to shorten, but repeat everything I had told him earlier.

Also whilst here I met Marc, a witty Irish chap that I got on great with and we went out and sang karaoke (‘I’m too Sexy’ for me, ‘Hey Jude’ and something by Elvis for Marc), took turns dancing with a crazy Spanish (I think) girl and went to an open mic night at 12 Bar Blue a great little bar where even the owners jumped on stage for an impressive song or 2, naturally Marc sang again however I without having the words to read in front of me would have got about 2 lines into any song the band knew and then had to sing “La lala la, laaa la laa, la.” And that would have been slightly embarrassing.

On our last day before Darwin, (he took the plane I took the bus) we went for a walk through the botanical gardens and took an English girl called Hannah with us, she was sweet bless her, but my god was she a Kamuckla! That by the way is a word from my dad’s language, which describes someone who is argumentative, difficult and stubborn. We discovered she liked to argue about things earlier on but didn’t think that much of it, however whilst on this walk she would challenge every thing Marc or I said to the point that we were afraid of calling the sky blue with white fluffy bits, we might be penalized. I think Marc found this harder to deal with than I did and try as I might to placate her and find a subject we could discuss without fighting it was to no avail. When I tried films and said I liked Tarantino she told me that he was a terrible director and extremely arrogant, I asked why and the reasons she gave were irrelevant to my question so another argument spawned. I asked about her in general figuring that if she was telling me about herself we couldn’t argue on it, yet we did and she got extremely angry with me. Eventually I figured that if I didn’t ask questions and simply agreed with her on every subject, she would stop attacking every word I said, but even this didn’t work and eventually when Marc gave her a little scrap of paper he found, with one of those life is fun, be happy sayings on it in an attempt to break the tension and cheer her up she started crying.

All in all it wasn’t quite the walk I had expected, it turned out she got upset with me asking questions because of something I had said earlier about someone else that made her think I would be extremely judgemental and uncaring. I guess it was just the tip of the iceberg and who knows, enough stuff was stored in there that it could have come out at anytime even without provocation. Unfortunately I can be quite provocative.

Perhaps the most exciting thing that happened was the discovery that the local supermarket sold SPAM, yes that’s right, SPAM! And the purchasing of a beautiful new blue knife, which allowed me to actually cut vegetables rather than simply pummel them into pieces with the hostel knives which are consistently blunt in every single hostel in the galaxy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment